what Is An Ulcer?
Ulcers are sores that are slow to heal or keep returning.
They can be found on different places on the part of the body you can see (on the outside of the human body) such as the leg ulcer found on the skin.
They can also be found on places you can’t see (on the inside of the body) such as the peptic ulcer found in the lining of the stomach
There are different types of ulcers such as;
THE LEG AND FOOT ULCERS
BEDSORES OR PRESSURE ULCERS
Leg And Foot Ulcers;
The leg and foot ulcers results from leg injuries that didn’t heal well because of other health issues.
Types Of Leg And Foot Ulcers
There are three known types of leg and foot ulcers
- Venous stasis ulcers
- Neurotrophic (diabetic) ulcers
- Arterial (ischemic) ulcers
Symptoms Of Leg And Foot Ulcers
- The patient may experience pain or no pain
- The patient generally has a swollen leg and may feel burning or itching.
- There may also be presence of rash, redness, brown discoloration or dry, scaly skin.
If left untreated these leg and foot ulcers can lead to;
- Osteoporosis– when your bones become weak and easily break in a fall
- having a part of your leg removed (a problem sometimes associated with diabetic ulcers).
Bedsores Or Pressure Sores (Ulcers);
The bedsores or pressure sores (ulcers) results from prolonged pressure on your skin leasing to blood flow problems
one is likely to get them during bed rest or conditions that makes it hard for one to move and is forced to lie or sit most of the time
Bedsores can lead to;
- Bone and joint infections
- Cancer in the skin’s upper layers
- Cellulitis; a painful infection in your skin and soft tissue
- necrotizing fasciitis; a life-threatening infection
- Sepsis; a life-threatening problem where bacteria get into your blood and move throughout your body
Stomach or Peptic Ulcers
These types of ulcers are found in the stomach or the upper part of the small intestine.
Types of stomach or peptic ulcers
Duodenal ulcers – These are ulcers that develop in the duodenum or the upper part of the small intestine
Ulcers may or may not be painful
The most common symptom of stomach or peptic ulcer is burning pain
other symptoms may include
- Bloating of the stomach
- unexplained weight loss
If not treated properly , peptic ulcers can lead to:
- Bleeding inside your body
- Blockages that keep food from moving out of your stomach